Your eagle project needs to be something that you can go back in 3 years
and say: I did that!
Usually this means constructing something. Collecting things and
cleaning cemeteries does not qualify.
It also must be your project. If the organization (that needs to me
non-profit) has a project already and
they just need some scouts to put it together, then you are just supplying
manpower to someone else's project.
But if the organization has an idea.. like they have a room that needs to be
painted... then you do the planning and
get the supplies to do it, then that qualifies. If the church has a
room to be painted, and they already have the paint,
and supplies and such..... and you are just going to paint it for them...
that is not an eagle project. You need to
do the planning and organization. In general collecting things door to
door or cleaning and mowing areas like old
cemetery will not qualify as an eagle project.
Eagle Projects Ideas
Some agencies to contact are:
The board of education
Your church or synagogue
The Red Cross
Homes for the aged
Senior citizens' center
Camps for the handicapped
Schools for the handicapped
Lighthouse for the Blind
City recreation department
City and county parks department
State and national parks
Conservation and energy groups
Army corps of engineers
Blood donor centers
Other youth agencies
Drug information centers
Mayor and city government offices
The United Way
Civil Defense office
Suggested Eagle Projects.
- Build a small building at Police Safety town where small children are
taught traffic safety
- Build a sign in front of the school to announce when PTA meets each month.
- Read children's books onto tapes for use in hospitals for an auditory
- Translate children's information booklets to different languages for the
- Build benches in front of school for students to sit in, or for local
- Repair tombstone's in disrepair in old cemetery.
- In a local Nature Area, plant more trees in the area. Build a pond..
- Help preserve the history of the town by building and erecting a cemetery
locator map in local cemetery.
- Repair playground at local park or church.
- Paint metal or waterproof wooden items at playground, or in front of city
building, hospital, or church.
- Repair or do work at local animal shelter.
- Build shelves to store backpacks outside cafeteria at school.
- Build benches for school
- build stone walkway for school.
More Eagle Projects from other Troops
- Jeremy built shelves and cabinets to be used by the Interfaith ministries.
- Robert built chimney swift houses for the Armand Bayou Nature Center in
Clear Lake City. Five were built. There things are chimneys which are 12
- A "Big Toy" for the pre-schoolers at our sponsoring
- As in 1), a tire swing was built. The Eagle built a large wood structure
from which to hang the swing.
- One Eagle repainted a torpedo and a deck gun at the Battleship Texas
site here in Houston.
- Some large shelving units were built in the Interfaith Ministries food
- One Eagle built a boat dock at a park
- Working with Sam Houston National Forest, one of our Eagles built bat
- The same as 6 but the Eagle built owl houses.
- One Eagle built trash receptacles for the local nature center and
- Another nature center project was building benches in the rest areas
along a nature trail.
- Building welcome signs to our town by major roads.
- Build a ramp for the handicapped at a local church.
- Build bird cages for local animal rehabilitators.
- build a pamphlet display in a local church, or make a guide to a local
- - rebuilt an outdoor chapel
- - built seven sets of sturdy steps (railroad ties, rebar, gravel) on a
banking down to a popular fishing area, thus preventing erosion
- - cleared paths and rebuilt steps and benches in an overgrown,
inaccessible wildlife area, leaving brush piles and wild fruit stands for
wildlife habitat but allowing greater use and appreciation of the area for
- - rebuilt a spillway and small dam in a conservation area to prevent
flooding and make for safer access for hikers
- - constructed and installed floating turtle rafts of cedar in a town
conservation area to replace downed trees the town had removed for safety
reasons, thus restoring a safe habitat for the turtles to sun themselves and
avoid foxes and other predators.
- repainting the bathrooms at the park and sand papering all the graffiti
off the wooden playground
- built a 10 x 20 building for a therapeutic riding program
- built gazebos and benches on the park trail for the city and planted
- built a prayer garden for a church
- Upgrading existing or building new hiking trails at a county park
(basically the park ranger has a shopping list of things that need to be
- Coordinating their family church's week of taking care of some homeless
- Hanging signs on trees or cementing them on the ground next to plants or
shrubs identifying what they are.
- Build a walking trail around a lake in a local county park.
- Walking/Nature Trails at local schools including chips and shavings to
walk on, leveling trail for ease of use, etc.
- Construct and install a Guide rope and Braille signs for a boardwalk at a
local nature center. Nature centers always seem to have projects for Eagle
- Another candidate designed, planned and organized the construction of a
mobile literature storage box/podium for his church. The project was about 6
feet high, 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep, on wheels.
- A third candidate arranged the installation of a basketball goal and 1/2
court marking at a nearby church parking lot as a recreational project for
the church and community youth.
- Another arranged to plan and execute a large concrete sidewalk
- Building a volley ball court for our church.
- Fixing up one of the meeting halls in our church.
- Building bagging tables for a local volunteer organization.
- Clear woods, paint some outdoors equipment, and dig a 150 foot trench for
a underground cable for a local church.
- Dig up and remove several dead trees, plant replacement trees and some new
trees along the access road to a local neighborhood, and plant bushes and
fix up several existing nursery beds.
- Clear and develop a nature trail at a local park.
- The first project was laying a wood chip trail around a local school yard
for the students and citizens to use as a fitness trail.
- Refurbished the inside of a Chessie System caboose that the town I live in
purchased for a local museum.
- Rehabilitated and painted the church garage. Replaced the doors and put a
new roof on the structure.
- Rebuilt a 100 ft., field stone retaining wall, along a nature trail at the
church retreat house.
- Constructed a large number of wooden planter boxes for the patio of a
local nursing home.
- Designed and constructed a wooden foot bridge over a creek in the local
- Constructed and stained a long wooden fence along a walkway at the
historical Society grounds.
- Cleared and laid out a nature trail for pre school children with activity
stations at the nature center.
- An antique, horse-drawn buggy was restored for a local museum.
- Scouts made 27 cement boxes for tree planters in order to level the
planters on one of the main streets of their city.
- More than 30 hours were spent forming 40 cement blocks, one square foot
each, in which metal-cased, veteran stars were placed. The veteran markers
were then set in place at the headstone of veterans in a local cemetery.
- An access ramp was built at a church to accommodate wheelchairs.
- One candidate planned and supervised the planting of a vegetable garden at
a senior citizen center
- At a home for senior citizens, outdoor furniture was sanded and painted, a
shuffleboard court was constructed
- Building a sturdy bridge in a county park provided quite a challenge. The
candidate secured the posts, planking, and concrete and transported the
supplies to the bridge site.
- Another project consisted of planting 1000 Virginia pine trees and 18
crepe myrtle trees and the construction and installation of birdhouses along
a nature trail in a state park.
Design and construct wheelchair access ramps and paths at college ministry
Remove unsafe space heaters and rebuild walls; then build bookshelves on
Design and construct a bus stop shelter
Designed and built rolling media carts for use of critically ill cancer
patients at local hospital
Construct a fence and landscaping for new home for Habitat for Humanity
Design, build and erect two radio antennae and towers for Civil Air Patrol
Build new roof for church bell tower and refurbish bell
Disassembly, repair, move, and reassemble donated outdoor gym set for
Design and build doghouses and donate to local animal shelter
Plan, build, and install a portable stage with backdrop and curtains for
Design and construct a raptor cage for injured hawks at wildlife center
Build instrument racks for storing bank instruments at local school
Built twelve bookcases, held book drive to fill shelves, and obtained
mini-blinds for recreation room at rehabilitation center
Built and assembled weaving loom for senior citizens’ home
Designed and built outdoor chapel for church
Build and install picnic tables at church in south Texas
Build a 5-station “ROPES” course for local church youth group
Build crèche and surroundings for Nativity display for community
Design, build and paint stage fronts for children’s chapel activities
Built electrically-operated game board to teach Bible facts to children at
Made Braille games for blind school students, including handmade game
boards, playing pieces, etc., that could be identified by touch
Built storage bins for nursery schools
Constructed six mobile, wooden planters, for use by children confined to
wheelchairs at Shriner’s Hospital
Repaired and painted community building, including raising funds to pay for
Constructed footbridge linking school and homes
Designed and built reading lofts for kindergarten classes freeing up
valuable floor space
Built clothes racks for Christmas gift program, providing place to store
coats and other donated clothing items until distribution
Designed, built, and installed two map signs identifying ball diamonds and
playing fields at community sports complex
Design and construct tennis backboards at city tennis courts
Constructed cabinets and shelves and secured library of written materials
for cardiac rehab center to provide education on measured and actions to
help prevent strokes and heart attacks
Built and maintained recycling center at local park by installing separating
bins and empting for six months
Rebuilt outdoor chapel at church camp by removing and replacing all benches,
adding railings to pathway and stairs and building new lectern and cross
Built horseshoe pitching court of residents of senior housing complex and
set up party to “unveil” the new courts
Refurbished area and constructed two new horseshoe pits and bocce ball court
for senior citizens of chartered organization
Collected, repaired, painted, and delivered toys to toy lending library and
Salvation Army for distribution to needy children
Erected poles as road guards around driveway at church for playground and
Built storage facilities for Sunday School materials
Built outdoor picnic tables for school
Constructed wooden compasses for demonstration and teaching at school
Repaired and repainted bleachers at school
Built fire pit and benches and cleaned up beachfront property of church
Built campfire bowl and stage for local youth camp
Planned, organized, and built baseball field for church
Rebuilt cabin and constructed outhouse at church camp
Renovated church gymnasium
Reshingled roofs on nature center buildings
Constructed kiosk to be used as message center, map holder and information
center at community park
Cleared unused building at Boy’s Club and constructed indoor archery range
Planned and built brick fireplace for local park
Built large playhouse (6’X12’X8’) for day-care and after-school program run
for homeless in community
Built cage (15’X30’X12’) for local raptor center to be used for
rehabilitation and display of large birds of prey
Erected enclosure, following specifications provided by the zoo, for display
and safekeeping of birds, at local wildlife park
Built outdoor weather station and installed professional grade weather
equipment at elementary school
Constructed activity shelter at local school
Organized and painted inside of church building
Tore down and disposed of dilapidated garage at historic home
Built doghouses of various sizes for homeless animals being kept at various
Constructed two bridges along trail at nature center
Built play gyms for schools and Ronald McDonald House
Rebuilt historical bus stop for seniors
Built a trophy case for local grade school
Built equipment for Special Olympics
Built birdhouses and feeders to be placed outside windows at local nursing
Repaired and repainted press box and dugouts at athletic field
Poured cement pads for air conditioning unit and patio of chartered
Made major structural repairs to community-owned park cabin
Constructed study carrels at nonprofit adult literacy organization
Built and distributed lap boards with tablets or writing paper and holders
for pens and envelopes to rest homes and VA hospital and with coloring books
and crayons for children’s hospital
Constructed park benches at bus stops for the elderly
Assembled book carts, kick stools and bookends for new public library and
relocated and sorted children’s catalog section
Procured materials and constructed six motorized wheelchairs for permanent
use by home for the elderly
Dismantle and rebuild wooden bleachers at school
Built wooden lifeguard towers at local YMCA camp
Built 4 rolling tables for chartered organization
Constructed three voting booths for town hall including one
Designed and built a playground for orphanage
Built new picnic tables for town park pavilion
Built bicycle racks for a local baseball complex
Repaired/rebuilt a storage shed at local neighborhood park
Repaired and repainted bleachers and dugouts at local little league baseball
Removed old flagpole and installed new one at local school; landscaped area
around the flagpole
Built wood shelving units for local food pantry
Design and build wood working benches for preschool children
Plan and construct soccer field by removing rocks, hauling in dirt, and
Plan and construct a sand volleyball court at church to benefit youth groups
Convert a storage room into a “cry room” at church by installing one way
mirror and sound insulation.
Built ten outdoor swing sets for camp for disabled children.
Design and build shade shelters for new city park.
Design and construct planter boxes for school learning center.
Design and build stacking cabinets for storage of choir music books.
Construct a paved path between church buildings and playground.
Repairing old cages and building new rabbit cages for Wild Rescue, an
animal rescue group.
Build enclosed shelving units to store linens at local shelter.
Design and paint a mural at senior center.
Build a 40’ wall to form a hallway; install sheetrock and finish painting.
Rebuild and repair children’s play area at ER of local hospital.
Design and build a security fence separating children’s playground from RR
Build six portable stages for classroom at school.
Build an aviary for songbirds.
Design and build a storage shed for nature preserve.
Design and build student mailboxes for classroom use.
Built a large storage/shelving unit for science lab in inner city school.
Repair parking lot; re-stripe; and create better access by constructing
paths to parking lots.
Plan and construct a covered bench area for playground supervision at
Design and construct the foundation and base for statue honoring servicemen
Design and construct entrance signs for local camp
Repair and resurface kitchen floor at local soup kitchen
Plan and construct track and field event pits at local school
Repair existing bed frames and construct an additional 26 frames for use at
Design and construct a sand volleyball court for church youth center
- Create a trail connecting two city parks and create erosion barriers to keep
trail in shape
- Construct a handicap accessible sidewalk at local playground area
- Design, layout and build a grass farm for use of Corps of Engineers on
future area projects
- Construct an underground sprinkler system to provide water to flower beds on
- Plan and build a “Biblical reference garden” to accent the entryway of local
- Design and construct a celebration rose garden for cancer victims and
- Design and install outdoor lighting for flag and cross at local church
- Construct three erosion control dams to prevent erosion of new trail
- Constructed an archery range at local youth camp
- Build a climbing traversing wall for use of local youth group
- Built 30’ retaining wall with native rocks to control erosion and water bars
on trail in preserve
- Built new orienteering course at park
- Initiated and completed two mile nature trail exhibiting trees, plants, and
wildlife; also built a dozen birdhouses to uses as a sanctuary over winter
and nesting seasons
- Researched local bird population and constructed and installed over thirty
different nesting stations to enhance population of desired bird species at
local wildlife park
- Design and construct twenty bird feeding stations for installation outside
nursing home windows.
- Compiled listing of practical ways average households can cut pollution and
keep environment clean without elaborate and expensive preparation;
distributed information to approximately 3,000 homes
- Rejuvenated cemetery by cleaning grounds, refurbishing headstones, and
locating graves; documented 300 buried there and secured cemetery’s
inclusion in state historical directory
- Built small park on unused wooded lot in neighborhood by clearing and
covering two walking paths with wood chips, installing wire spool tables,
clearing play area, building sand box, and making entrance sign
- Made insect collection for school of children with disabilities by
collecting, identifying and giving locations of prime sites for insect
collection; constructed glass cases for presentation and for future
- Made and posted warning signs and location markers on trail for hikers; dug
drainage ditches and laid rock and logs to route stagnant water off trail
and into river; installed terracing steps and rope handrails to help ensure
safety of hikers
- Landscaped local Red Cross chapter house in preparation for open house
- Researched and laid out historical hike around city in cooperation with
- Laid out and built outdoor environment and nature study course with
assistance of educational naturalist
- Leveled and repaired twenty fitness stations in cooperation with local parks
and recreation division
- Ploughed and cultivated garden area for use by nursing home patients
- Developed plan to revitalize live oak trees on college campus by aerating
compacted soil, adding topsoil and creating physical barriers around the
- Mulched and landscaped parking area and installed handicapped ramp to access
- Designed and built flower beds for main entrance of school
- Reconstructed and landscaped steep bank behind church sanctuary
- Mapped sector of wildlife refuge to determine contents and populations of
- Created wildlife kits for state game and parks group to be used in school
systems – cleaned skulls of animals and set up displays for kits
- Cleared and widened fire road in forest to make it passable
- Refurbished war memorial and beautified landscaping for memorial Day
- Designed and built prayer garden for church recreation center
- Cleared ¼ mile trail through wilderness area of city park and built two
bridges to cross small creek
- Mapped, marked, and cleared trail at church camp and built bench on trail
- Prepared area and planted trees supplied by park authority
- Helped develop environmental learning center at community college
- Planted shade trees in municipal park after consulting with state forestry
experts to select best varieties for climate. Assigned scouts to care for
seedlings for one year.
- Created flower parks with welcome signs at entrances to communities
- Built signs for interpretive trails telling history of area
- Landscaped public library
- Landscaped Habitat for Humanity house.
- Created an 18th century herb garden
- Created azalea garden and meditation bench for chartered organization
- Solved and corrected rainwater problem in children’s playground of chartered
- Cleared wheelchair and visually-impaired trail; built and installed wooden
distance markers; made tape recording about park and donated cassette
recorder and headphones; made and posted flyers on bulletin boards about
availability of tape
- Built a memorial park in name of an accident victim
- Distributed water conservation pamphlets and installed 576 water-saving
devices donated by public utility
- Built ten bat “hotels” for state park to help keep insects in check
- Pond rehabilitation and clean up: restructured pond in town park; planted
ground cover to prevent erosion; cleaned garbage and sediment from pond
- Designed and built shelters over tiger cages at local zoo
- Cut down old orchard (slated for development); cut and stacked all the wood
as firewood; delivered firewood to poor families
- Built two grade-level steps to prevent erosion of local wildlife trail;
filled in low areas
- Built a boat dock at a park used by local Webelos dens
- Build trash containers and install them at local nature center
- Located and mapped using GPS all storm sewer inlets in city area and posted
“No Dumping” signs.
- Repair bridge understructure and install erosion control structures at local
- Install new signs and brochure boxes at local nature preserve.
- Repair and resurface state historical marker signs at local historical park
- Improve native habitat by removal of invasive species and re-introduction of
native vegetative species
- Installation of bollards to prevent unauthorized vehicular traffic in
- Creek and native habitat restoration involving native species introduction
of flora and fauna at local park
- Landscape a new home for Habitat for Humanity
- Plan and build a garden area, path and install a statue in churchyard
Design and build 50 book easels for public library
- Design and build a puppet theater and perform public service shows for
domestic violence awareness.
- Constructed mechanical safety belt demonstrators for department of public
- Placed brick memorial and landscaped site in honor of tornado victims –
placed three flag poles, 75 trees and 200 bushes along cement path
- Worked with three local hospitals and local ham radio club to give children
the opportunity to talk to Santa Claus – organized Scouts to visit
children’s rooms with treats and portable CB radios
- Designed, produced, and distributed 1,500 copies of brochure that boosted
attendance at boys club
- Constructed a hands-on exhibit on static electricity for children’s museum
- Organized bike safety campaign; trained scouts as inspectors and judges and
ran bike rodeo that included bike safety check and safe-bike-riding contest
- Organized a concert in which the Scout’s band played at a local park;
admission was food items for homeless shelter
- Chipped paint, repaired, and repainted torpedo and deck gun on Battleship
- Plan and construct structures in river to enhance fish habitat.
- Designed and created tactile sensory mats for special education center at
- Design and construct wood and Plexiglas display signs at local sports fields
- Refurbished and preserved submarine propeller exhibit at local library for
50th anniversary celebration